sometimes you need to celebrate something huge and homey all at the same time. like when your baby brother is suddenly grown, and graduating high school, and going off to new york for film school in a mere matter of months. (!) some days you need to mark an occasion with a special treat, but are too deeply exhausted from crying as your amazing bean sprout of a brother gave a heartfelt speech to leave your own home where you and he can snuggle on the sofa all night. enter: salty chocolate toffee love cakes, the perfect mix of down home ease and classy style.
we make a lot of cake in my house. at least once a week we bake one, often with multiple layers, frost that bad boy, and dive in. we have ample data comparison points, and everyone, everyone declared this the best cake of. all. time. basically, we made our best chocolate sour cream layers from the rosie's bakery cookbook. then we made a salty caramel frosting, into which we whipped cream cheese for added delight. finally we sprinkled toffee bits on top. we cut slices and toasted our little wonder bean, marveling at how fast eighteen years have gone by, and how sweet it is to be together to lick frosting off knives and day dream about all the oscars he will win.
this cake will not let you down. anything you are celebrating, do it with this mama. enjoy.
chocolate sour cream cake layers from rosie's
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 c ap flour
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 cup stong hot coffee
1/2 cup sour cream (or yogurt, which we used)
1/2 c veg oil
1. preheat to 345. grease two 8 or 9 inch cake pans (heart shaped preferable, obviously).
2. melt chocolate in double boiler. cool.
3. stir together dry ingredients: sugar, flour, baking soda, salt. set aside.
4. in another bowl, add liquids: coffee, sour cream, veg oil.
4. add liquids to dry ingredients, mix together. stop and scrape down a lot.
6. add in eggs. then, slowly add in chocolate.
7. pour into pans, bake around 35 minutes.
8. cool, then frost. then sprinkle with toffee. then eat until you have to hold your belly and complain. then go hug your baby brother and watch bad old bond movies all night.
salty caramel cream cheese frosting
1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cream cheese
1 t vanilla
1 t salt
melt butter on the stovetop with brown sugar. stir and gradually bring to a boil. let roll for a couple of minutes until all sugars are melted down. pour into a mixer, and beat at medium speed. drop in cream cheese and beat together. add in salt and vanilla. beat until thick.
spread over cake thickly. sprinkle toffee chunks on top (maybe 1/2 cup? but really as much as you can handle.)
repeat as necessary.